steak me home tonight

12:30:00 PM

My favorite food has got to be a steak. It's the first thing I learned to cook well (not well DONE, though, blah) and why not? Steaks are a Townsend staple.

Last eve I was invited to cook for two of my co-workers. They wanted steak. I obliged and when I oblige on steak, I go all out. Prime ribeye, bleu cheese creamed spinach. Hell, yes. I stopped at the store first, if I am being fancy, I really like to get my steak from the actual butcher. I will pay for a good steak, and luckily with the size of these ribeye's, one feeds two. As I'm shopping I see the elusive Rayce (father and sort of cooking mentor, especially when steaks are involved) throwing 10 top ramen packages into his cart. As the sort of healthy food person I am, I basically followed him for a few aisles and criticized everything in his cart. "Do you know how much sodium is in that? Is that even legal? WHY RAMEN?!?" He politely asked me to leave, and I did, since I had cooking to do.




I met up with Tammy and Sandy and began my preparation in one of the most gorgeous kitchens I've ever had the privilege of cooking in. I cut the steaks in half and used black pepper to season. Sometimes you don't need anything more than pepper, especially if the steak is good enough (believe me, there will probably be several posts dedicated to steak and how to not fuck them up). Heat up a bit of olive oil and start them on fairly high heat.

Now, I'm a medium rare gal and I'm an ADVOCATE for medium rare, however some of us (Tammy) like their steak well done. Okay, I'll cottle you. There isn't much to the steak. These were particularly thick so about 5ish minutes on one side, turn, another 5ish on the other for the medium rare, I'd say 7-8 minutes each side for the well done. Now, I know, you're not supposed to cut into the meat, it takes the flavor away, even a tiny cut, so you do the hand test/palm test/finger test. I'm awful at explaining it so please, refer yourself here.




Also, may I just say, GAS STOVE GAS STOVE GAS STOVE.

Now when they are at their desired doneness, take them off the pan and let them sit. They should rest about another 5 minutes which will give you time to prepare the spinach.

Anyway, I took an entire bag of spinach, chopped it up a little with Kevin, the fancy Wusthof, and simmered in in olive oil about 3 minutes on medium heat until it was slightly wilty. A little olive oil in this case goes a LONG way. Now, remember, the spinach will reduce like crazy, so even when you think an entire bag of spinach is enough for 3 people, I'd rather have had 2 bags. After the simmer I added bleu cheese crumbles (literally I add bleu to almost everything). It'll start to get a little creamy as you stir, some choose to add half and half at this point, I am not one of those people, however, do your thing. Some add a little broth...again, not one of those people.




When the bleu cheese is to your desired creaminess, give it a good stir and place on the plate. You can arrange how you like...next to, on top of or under the steak. Whatever is fancy. In this case, because I only had so much spinach, I did a nice side presentation and added a shit ton more bleu cheese to the steak.

And then, I stuffed.




Steak isn't really that hard to fuck up, however you can. Be mindful and pay attention and damnit, get prime steak.

You Might Also Like

0 comments