grillin' like a villian

12:54:00 PM

In an effort to use the grill more, I decided to roast some zucchini. I need to branch out on my zucchini experience because right now it's limited to zoodles and the occasional slice. But grilling them, wow, what an experience.

 I wanted a simple salad, something fresh and light for one of the first warmest days of the year. For some reason, roasted nuts sounded amazing. I got a mixture of pecans and peanuts and put them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, covered in grapeseed oil.


I sliced a zucchini at an angle and coated it in olive oil and pepper. I cut a portobello mushroom I just had on hand and drizzled it on olive oil as well. I put the mushroom on the grill for about 15 minutes...




While the mushrooms roasted, I coated some pre-cooked chicken with pepper, paprika, cumin and olive oil. I like blackened chicken...with grapeseed oil. Lot's of oils going on here, which is how I like it. Mixes it up. Put your cast iron on medium-low heat and occasionally turn for about 15 minutes or until desired blackness.


I love my cast iron. After the 15 minutes for the mushrooms have passed, remove those and throw on top of some spinach or arugula. Really, any green will work. Let it set. At this point I like to add some cheese so it can get a little melty so I threw some bleu cheese on top of the musrooms. Meanwhile, I put the coated zucchini directly on the grill, 3 minutes on each side so I could get those beautiful char marks.


By this point the nuts should be finished so pull those out and place them on top of the salad you've got started. Once you've grilled the zucchini to your liking, throw those babies on top as well. Then we add the chicken, where its crispy and warm and it may melt some more of the cheese. Parmesean is probably a better cheese for this but whatever, use what you want! You don't even need a dressing, the oils completely substitute that. It's fresh and amazing.

I plan on making this A LOT.

You Might Also Like

0 comments